This page features Virginia Tech tuition, admission requirements and acceptance rate. Read on.
Formally known and referred to as the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Virginia Tech University is located on Blacksburg, Virginia.
It is a public land grant university and is informally known as VT, VA Tech or VPI. Its educational facilities spread statewide across six regions. It is also a senior military college with its Corps of Cadets ROTC program.
How Virginia Tech Started
In 1982, the Reconstruction-era Virginia General Assembly bought facilities owned by a small Methodist Boys School located in SouthWest Virginia Rural Montgomery County, Preston and Olin Institute. A 260 acres adjoining farmland was also bought from Robert Taylor Person that same year. A land grant military institute was incorporated on the site by the commonwealth, and that is what has undergone series of metamorphosis to Virginia Tech today.
The school’s first student named Addison Caldwell was registered on the 1st of October 1872.
Virginia State University has 3 former names. From 1872 to 1896, it was referred to as Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College. Then from 1896 to 1944, it was called Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute, and then Virginia Polytechnic institute from 1944-1970.
The school has about 36,383 students and 1,395 academic staff. Its graduate and undergraduate degree programs numbered about 280.
Of the 280 programs total, undergraduate degree programs numbered 110, while the remaining 170 are Masters and Doctorate degree programs. The schools main campus includes an airport, 2,600 acres land mass and buildings numbering 235. It has 14.1 student faculty ration and stands at number 48 in the United States University research.
Virginia Tech Admission Eligibility Requirements
Plan to enter Virginia tech for a program and wondering what the admission requirements are? It’s time to stop the worries, as here we got you covered on that. You are about to discover the schools entrance eligibility criteria, and also discover if you fit the bill or otherwise. Here we go.
If you are a first year applicant, the academic requirement you are to meet up with includes;
- You must have completed high school course work totaling 18 units
- Must have completed 3 units of mathematics, and this must include geometry, algebra 1 and algebra 11.
- You must have completed four units of English Language
- Must have completed 2 units of lab science, and they must be chosen from any of chemistry, physics or biology
- You must have concluded 4 elective units and 3 additional academic unit with foreign language highly recommended.
These are requirements for first year students who want to enter into Virginia Tech.
For transfer students, that is those who have attempted 12 credit hours or more at any university or college after high school graduation, admission requirements to Virginia Tech are;
- Must have completed prerequisite coursework needed for the program intended.
- Must be in good standing at current institution of study. Students who have records of disciplinary actions, suspension, dismissal, felony, or convicts stand a chance of being rejected by the school. Protective orders, convictions and arrests must be reported by all students as per the University policy
- The school has no specified GPA, however, applicants who desire to be most competitive in their application should have a 3.0 CGPA and above
- All transfer application process must be timely completed and the stated deadline met.
Graduate School Requirements
- For applicants who are international students, non-US citizens or Non US residents, a demonstration of the needed level of English proficiency necessary for effective functioning in a graduate program is required. This is shown through a TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test score. A conferred bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution which utilizes the English language as means of instruction is also acceptable as proof of English proficiency.
- Minimum required IELTS score for admission is of 6.5, and TOEFL score of 90 is required, with scores in reading, speaking, writing and listening subsections expected to be at minimum of 20 each.
- A $75 nonrefundable application fee.
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) may be required for the program applied for by a candidate
- Letters of recommendation are also required for graduate admissions.
These are the requirements admission to graduate and degree programs at Virginia Tech. A more bulky breakdown of these requirements is available on the schools website.
Virginia Tech Tuition, Fees
Knowledge of the Financial Requirements of an institution you plan to attend is key in making plans to attend the school, as it helps you know how deep the school will eat into your pocket or that of whoever your sponsor may be.
Tuition for Virginia Tech does vary for instate and out state students. Tuition is $33,857 for out-of-state, while in-state is $14,175. However, for Room and Board the fees are the same for both out-of-state and in-state, $9,876.
Virginia Tech Acceptance Rate
Virginia Tech acceptance rate is regarded to be somewhat selective. The average SAT score of entrants into Virginia Tech is about 1,180 to 1,390, while the average ACT score stands at 25 to 31. Virginia Tech’s acceptance rate is around 70%.
The school has about 1000 transfer students every year, coming in from four year college, community college and 2 year colleges. Currently, Virginia has a total international students numbering 3,846, of whom 1,880 are undergraduates.
Does Virginia Tech Offer Scholarship(s)
Yes, it does. Virginia Tech like other institutions of its class and caliber also offers different types of scholarship packages with different deadlines, and requirements. The school advice students not to wait for admission offer before applying for scholarships.
To be considered for grants and scholarships at Virginia Tech, students are required to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and also make sure to complete the General Scholarship Application at Scholarship Central.
How To Apply For Study Programs In Virginia Tech
Applications for programs at Virginia Tech, either undergraduate or degree programs can be done online. All applications must be completed before the deadlines.
These is where we pause on the sum of what you need to know about Virginia Tech.
If you desire to apply for admission to the school, or know someone who does, I believe the information you got here about the school is enough to help you make informed decisions and plans concerning it going forward. Sharing this piece with others therefore would be a good idea, wouldn’t it?
- Best Colleges For Political Science In USA
- Top 20 Public Universities And Colleges In USA
- Top 10 Best Universities To Study In UK
- Catholic University Of America Acceptance Rate, Tuition, Admission Requirements And Scholarships
- University Of Toronto Acceptance Rate, Tuition, Admission Requirements, Programs And Rankings
- Texas Board Of Nursing – Application, Requirements, Portal, And License Verification